Batata Vada | Potato Dumplings | Mumbai Street Food | Indian Fast Food Recipe by Ruchi Bharani
Learn how to make Batata Vada, a popular Mumbai street Food / fast food recipe by Ruchi Bharani.
Batata Vada (Potato Dumplings) is a very popular fast food in Maharashtra. Originally being a Gujarati dish, batata vada has crossed all geographical and cultural barriers over time. Check out Ruchi Bharani’s take on this popular fast food recipe.
5 potatoes boiled and coarsely mashed
8-10 cloves of garlic
1 big piece ginger
5 green chillies
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 and 1/2 tablespoon oil
1 and 1/2 cup gram flour
salt to taste
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
For the filling –
– Grind all three aromatics (garlic, ginger and green chillies) together into a coarse paste.
– Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp. oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they start spluttering, add asafoetida (heeng) and curry leaves. Add the ginger, chilli and garlic paste. Saute it for a minute.
– Add coarsely mashed potatoes and the remaining seasoning ingredients (turmeric powder, salt and coriander leaves). Mix well.
– Keep the potato filling aside and let it cool down completely.
For the batter –
– In a mixing bowl, add gram flour, 1 tbsp. cornflour, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp. asafoetida or heeng and salt to taste. Add water and whisk it into a smooth pouring consistency batter.
– Make 1 & 1/2 inch balls of potato filling.
– Just before frying, add 2 pinches of soda bicarbonate into the batter. Pour some hot oil over it and let it react and mix it together.
– Dip the potato balls well into the batter and add them to the hot oil.
– Fry them on a medium flame. Let them turn golden brown. Flip them well.
– Remove the ready vadas on a kitchen towel so that all the excess oil is absorbed.
– Serve them hot with coriander mint chutney and spicy garlic chutney (Find recipes here – Corinader Mint Chutney – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elo1u6oqwCQ
Spicy Garlic Chutney – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C01EXW1rk-I)
Subscribe & Stay Tuned – http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=rajshrifood
Share on Facebook – http://goo.gl/JclLQb
Tweet about this – http://goo.gl/C0Op8r
For more videos log onto http://www.youtube.com/rajshrifood
Find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/rajshrifood
Follow us on google plus https://plus.google.com/b/114588487895582397530/114588487895582397530/posts / plus.google.com/+rajshrifood